Ash Museum Logo
Ash Museum
Ash Museum Logo

Home | Museum | History Room | Local History | Contact us

Ash Vale School Memorial

On Sunday 13 April 1921, a memorial was unveiled to 13 boys of Ash Vale School who had fallen in the Great War. The memorial was an oak bookcase made by Robert Snuggs of Aldershot and designed by Mr Baker. The funds had been raised by Mr Moore the headmaster and a committee, and it was placed in the central hall of the school A special form of service was conducted by Rev FG Lacey, curate-in-charge of St Mary's Church. "Fight the Good Fight", "O God our Help" and "For all the Saints were sung. The memorial was unveiled by Mrs Mackay of The Rowans, in the absence on military duties of Colonel Mackay DSO, who sent a written address read out by Mr Moore. Buglers from Mytchett Camp sounded the "Last Post" and the "Reveille". The bookcase is now lost.

Sidney J Blake - Hampshire Regiment
Charles W Bond - Wiltshire Regiment
Richard J Boraman - RMLI, HMS Hampshire
Robert F Hacken - RMLI, HMS Hampshire
Charles Kerchey - RASC
Sidney E Nash - Royal Scots
Leonard W Smith - Royal West Surrey Regiment
Harry A Taylor - Royal Irish Fusiliers
Arthur V Tomkins - Wiltshire Regiment
George L Tomkins - Rifle Brigade
James V Voice - RN, HMS Alsatian
Albert G Williams - RN, HMS Black Prince
Edwin P Young - RN, HMS Vernon

Ash War Memorial

The Memorial to the Men of Ash Vale in St Mary's Church

Ash Vale School Roll of Honour

Some Memories of 50 Years Ash Vale Primary School 1909-1959

 


Home | Museum | History Room | Local History | Contact us
© Ash and District Local History Museum Society ash.museum@ntlworld.com
c/o Ash Parish Council Offices, Ash Centre, Ash Hill Road, Ash, Surrey GU12 5DP