Ash Museum Logo
Ash Museum
Ash Museum Logo

Home | Museum | History Room | Local History | Contact us

Memorial to the Men of Ash Vale in St Mary's Church

Memorial to the Men of Ash Vale at St Mary's Church

IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF ASH VALE WHO DIED FIGHTING
FOR THEIR COUNTRY, THEIR HOMES AND THEIR FAMILIES

1914 - 1918 THE GREAT WAR

    ALEXANDER P. PERRY
    CHARLES W. PERRY
ARTHUR J. BAREHAM ERNEST HARDWICK CHARLES H. READ
SIDNEY J. BLAKE ALBERT HART CHARLES RICKETTS
CHARLES W. BOND GEORGE HART HERBERT T. SEUME
RICHARD C. BORAMAN CHARLES F. HIGGS SIDNEY A. SEUME
SIDNEY L. BUDD CHARLES W. HOWARD CHARLES G. SMALLBONES
ALFRED BULL WILLIAM T. HUTCHINS LEONARD W. SMITH
STANLEY CHESEMAR ALFRED ROY JONES DAVID C. SUMNER
ERNEST E. CLACY ALBERT G. KERCHEY FRED TAYLOR
SAMUEL F. CODY CHARLES KERCHEY HARRY A. TAYLOR
FRANK W. COOK WILLIAM KIMBER ARTHUR V. TOMPKINS
MONTAGUE A.F. COTTON HENRY L. LAKE HENRY T. TURVILL
THOMAS G. DICKINSON ALAN A.M. LANGFORD JAMES V. VOICE
CHARLES EMBLETON ALBERT LYNN WILLIAM VOICE
FLORENCE EMBLETON FREDERICK J. MAYHEAD JOSEPH F. WALTON
EDWARD J. FAIRCHILD CHARLES D. MORLING ARTHUR R. WELCH
HENRY FOSTER SYDNEY E. NASH ALBERT G. WILLIAMS
ERNEST A. GAINES GEORGE PARFITT OLIVER WILLIAMS
ROBERT F. HACKEN FRANK PHARO EDWIN P. YOUNG

1939 - 1945 THE SECOND WORLD WAR

    WILLIAM HARRISON
    J. ANTONY HAYDE
    STANLEY J MEARS
  EDWIN HARRY ESDAILE WALTER E. MURRAY
ARTHUR C. BORAMAN REGINALD H. FRIDAY DENNIS G. PAIGE
LESLIE A. COLES HARRY GEAR JOHN A.S. ROBINSON
MALCOLM C. COLWILL FREDERICK GOUGH WILLIAM A.G. STANDLEY
REGINALD S. FRANKS CYRIL A. HANKINS ARTHUR G. WIGNELL

 

The oaken altar at St Mary’s is a memorial to those who fell in the First World War, paid for mainly by the families of casualties. Plans were made at Easter 1917, and the Bishop of Winchester, who had lost a son in the war, came to hold a Service of Benediction on 13 December 1917. The church was filled with relatives and friends of the fallen.

The processional cross still in use at St Mary’s Church is inscribed “In memory of our dear departed”. It was dedicated at the evening service on Passion Sunday 1918, and delivery had been delayed because the manufacturer was doing work for the Ministry of Munitions.

At the evening service on 9 November 1919, a War Memorial, was dedicated. It was an oaken tablet inscribed with the names of the fallen in gilt, and was hung on the wall opposite the baptistry at the rear of the church. The original War Memorial was replaced by the current illuminated framed vellum War Memorial commemorating the fallen of both world wars.

Ash Great War Roll of Honour

Ash Second World War Roll of Honour

St Mary's Church, Ash Vale

 


Home | Museum | History Room | Local History | Contact us
© Ash and District Local History Museum Society ash.museum@ntlworld.com
c/o Ash Parish Council Offices, Ash Centre, Ash Hill Road, Ash, Surrey GU12 5DP