|Charles and Florence Embleton were brother and sister. A form was completed for the Ash War Memorial committee with with details of both of them. Major Embleton subscribed 2 guineas to the Ash War Memorial fund.
Private S/6263 No 4 Company, Royal Army Ordnance Corps
Died 20 July 1916 aged 26
Charles Embleton was the husband of M Embleton of 11 Garston Street Shepton Mallet. He had seen 8 years service in the forces and been decorated with the 1914 Star.
Charles was born in Alexandria in Egypt. He enlisted with the Army Service Corps in Reading in October 1908 aged 18. He was 5 feet 7 1/2 inches tall, weighed 113 lbs, and had brown eyes and dark brown hair. His chest girth when fully expanded was 33 1/2 inches (with a range of expansion of 2 inches) and he was accepted as a "special" even though this was 1/2 inch under what was required. He had previously been a storeman, and became an Army clerk. The 1911 census reveals that he was then stationed in The Circular Redoubt at Harwich. He married Mary Cooper in September 1911, and transferred to the Reserve in October 1911.
During the hostilities Charles was mainly based at home, but he went to France for 16 days from 14-29 August 1914. In March 1915 he was discharged as no longer physically fit for War service, and in May 1915 was granted 30d a day pension for 12 months after which he would have a medical examination.
Mechanic Driver Women's Legion
Died 26 May 1918, aged 30
The death of Miss Embleton was reported in the Aldershot News 31 May 1918. Her parents were Major John (Army Ordnance Department) and Sarah Embleton, and Miss Embleton, their only daughter, died at the family home, Valetta in Frimley Road, Ash Vale. The family had lived in Ash Vale for 6 years, and had previously lived at Park House, St Michael's Road, Aldershot, so Miss Embleton was well known in Ash and Aldershot.
Miss Embleton had been engaged on various kinds of war work since the beginning of the war. She had been a clerk at the Field Stores and a nurse at Aldershot hospital. She had joined the Women's Legion in October 1917, and had been a Motor Driver in No 52 Motor Transport Company, Army Service Corps, Aldershot, and was attached to the Army School of Sanitation.
She was given a funeral with full military honours. The coffin was carried on a gun carriage with a Union Jack covering the coffin and the band of the Middlesex Regiment. The pall bearers were from the Women's Legion, and a trumpeter from the Army Service Corps sounded the last post.