Ash Museum Logo
Ash Museum
Ash Museum Logo

Home | Museum | History Room | Local History | Contact us

Waters and Hogsflesh
"Two well esteemed Ash families"

RH Waters Coal Merchants Ash Robert Henry Waters (c.1867-1923) with his horse and cart marked "RH Waters Coal Merchant Ash". The little girl is his daughter Edith Waters. Robert Waters the coal merchant appears in Kelly's directories in 1907, 1908 and 1911. His coal business at Ash Common was purchased by Scards. Robert Waters is buried in Ash Cemetery in G76. James Hogsflesh and his wife James Hogsflesh (c.1812-1894) and his wife. His first wife was Caroline Marshall, and this is likely to be his second wife Lucy Ruffold (c.1823-1885), who he married c.1871. James Hogsflesh farmed at Hillside Farm (Ash Hill Road) and is buried at the edge of the churchyard to the north-east of St Peter's Church, with his wife Caroline who died in 1870.

Standard 8 at Heathcote Memorial School Standard 8 at Heathcote Memorial School c.1902-3.

The master is Mr John James Miles, and it is thought that William James Grover Hogsflesh, who was born in 1894, is one of the boys. He was the son of Luke and grandson of James Hogsflesh.

The wedding of William James Grover and Edith Winifred Waters On 16 October 1917 William James Grover (formerly Hogsflesh) of Poyle Farm and Edith Winifred Waters were married.

William was the youngest son of Luke Hogsflesh of Hillside Farm, and Edith was the only daughter of Robert Waters of College Road. The wedding took place in Tongham Church and Mr H Sleet was best man.

Seated to the left of the bride and groom are Robert and Rose Waters, and to their right are Lydia and Luke Hogsflesh, James Hogsflesh (Luke's brother) and Lydia Reed. Elsie Cook, the bridesmaid, and Eddie Reed, the page-boy are sitting on the ground. Reverend Lacey (of St Mary's Church Ash Vale) is at the back.


Home | Museum | History Room | Local History | Contact us
© Ash and District Local History Museum Society ash.museum@ntlworld.com
c/o Ash Parish Council Offices, Ash Centre, Ash Hill Road, Ash, Surrey GU12 5DP