Ash Museum Logo
Ash Museum
Ash Museum Logo

Home | Museum | History Room | Local History | Contact us

The Ash War Memorial Unveiling Ceremony

An impressive unveiling ceremony took place on Easter Sunday 1921. The Tongham Band played as Lady Napier and Sir Walter Napier arrived between lines of the 2nd Ash Scout Troop and the Ash Comrades. The service opened with the hymn "Fight the Good Fight", and the Reverend Lacey of St Mary's Church mentioned the names of all 112 who had died in the Great War in the first prayer.

The Reverend Lacey dedicated the memorial and Lady Napier unveiled it. Mrs Mackay placed a wreath at its foot on behalf of the committee and Colonel S. Longhurst followed with a large wreath from the Ash Comrades, about 80 of whom were present. Many other tributes followed, and then Sir Walter Napier gave an inspiring address, remembering not only those who died but also those who returned, some of them maimed for life.

The Reverend Lacey said a final prayer, which was followed by the Blessing and the Last Post and Reveille sounded by the trumpeters of the 13th Hussars. The ceremony ended with the National Anthem. Most members of Ash Parish Council were present along with the memorial committee and Reverend Lambrick of St Peter's Church. The united choirs of St Peter's and St Mary's and the two Ash Chapels led the singing. 1000 copies of a booklet were printed by Gale and Polden of Aldershot for the unveiling, containing the order of service and the names of the fallen.

Unveiling of Ash War Memorial
Order of Service for the unveiling of Ash War Memorial Order of Service for the unveiling of Ash War Memorial

Ash Great War Roll of Honour

 


Home | Museum | History Room | Local History | Contact us
© Ash and District Local History Museum Society ash.museum@ntlworld.com
c/o Ash Parish Council Offices, Ash Centre, Ash Hill Road, Ash, Surrey GU12 5DP