Ash Museum Logo
Ash Museum
Ash Museum Logo

Home | Museum | History Room | Local History | Contact us

The Roll of Honour in the Porch at St Peter's Church and the Memorial Service

On 7 May 1915 the Aldershot Gazette and Military News reported that upwards of 160 names of Ash men serving in the Army and Navy had been posted in the porch at St Peterís Church.

The Surrey Advertiser 5 June 1915 reported that Scout Master Scott of the Ash Troop had enlisted as a signaller in the Royal Engineers. The Surrey Advertiser 31 July 1915 reported that Mr Ogden, formerly the foreman at the supply depot Aldershot and an Ash Parish Councillor, had joined the colours as a Sgt Major and was now serving with Royal Engineers at Chatham. The Aldershot News of 2 July 1915 reported that another 20 names had been added to the roll of honour hanging in the church porch at Ash, and that this brought the total number of men now serving from the parish to 180 men.

A memorial service was held for those who had given their lives. Buglers came from Aldershot to sound the last post and memorial leaflets contained the names of the men who had died:

Corp John Franks - 1st Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment
Sgt Frederick Mayhead - 3rd Worcestershire Regiment
Edward James Fairchild - HMS Cressy
Private GC Alden - 2nd Oxfordshire and Bucks LI
Lance Corp Charles Lamport - 1st Norfolk Regiment
Frederick Cotterill - Royal Marines
Lance Corp George Hart - Worcester Regiment
Rifleman George Tomkins - 1st Rifle Brigade
Sgt Charles Morling - S Staffs Regiment
The porch at St Peter's Church

Ash War Memorial

Peace and Peace Bell at St Peter's Church

St Peter's Church

 


Home | Museum | History Room | Local History | Contact us
© Ash and District Local History Museum Society ash.museum@ntlworld.com
c/o Ash Parish Council Offices, Ash Centre, Ash Hill Road, Ash, Surrey GU12 5DP