Ash Museum Logo
Ash Museum
Ash Museum Logo

Home | Museum | History Room | Local History | Contact us

Ash National School

Ash National School class

Does anyone recognise a grandparent in this photograph which was taken in 1911?

We think the children were standing outside the window at the back of the school with the drain pipe next to it, which you can see in the picture below (ref 338/18).

Ash National School

Ash National School was opened in 1835 and stood opposite South Lane in what is now Grange Road.

A pair of cottages had been converted into one room with a brick floor, and there was a gravel yard outside. An infants room was added at the east end in 1872, and the classroom at the west end was built in 1884.

Eventually the old building was "condemned" by the Surrey Education Authority, and after an appeal for funds, Ash Walsh Memorial School was built. The master, Mr Read, and all his pupils moved into new premises in January 1915.


Home | Museum | History Room | Local History | Contact us
© Ash and District Local History Museum Society ash.museum@ntlworld.com
c/o Ash Parish Council Offices, Ash Centre, Ash Hill Road, Ash, Surrey GU12 5DP